Depending on the nature and duration of the visit, several visas can be used.
The ILR Indefinite Leave To Remain is also one of them, although this visa is not easy to obtain and offers more benefits than any other visa. This is also the last visa for people to move towards British naturalisation and citizenship. The privileges of this visa are very similar to regular citizens, without the features of a British passport and the facilities available to citizens.
Depending on the type of visa currently in use, people can only be eligible for an ILR visa after they have lived in the UK for 5 to 10 years. There is also a list of requirements, and the duration, which must be met to qualify for an ILR visa.
Knowing your current visa will greatly help you understand how to obtain an ILR visa.
The advantage of the ILR visa is that the visa holder can enter or leave the UK freely, and the visa has not expired. Moreover, when the person lives in the UK, there is no longer a need to renew their visa, and they can live indefinitely. ILR also has no work restrictions, and holders are free to find work or conduct business. The only thing that invalidates the visa is that the holder has lived outside the UK for more than 2 years at a time. If this happens, they will have to reapply for a visa.
Individuals can apply for an ILR visa in two ways, one is a five-year route, and the other requires ten years to qualify.
In the 5-year route, some specific visas are listed, including Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 5 visas, which all lead to ILR visas. On the other hand, the 10-year visa is applicable to all visa holders, regardless of their type. Only after a person or any combination of visas has been used for ten years will they be eligible to apply for an ILR visa.
For these two methods, in addition to the visa that makes you eligible for ILR, you must also comply with some other rules and regulations to qualify. These are detailed regulations, some of which are general regulations, and some will be specific to the visa category you are from.
The cost and duration of the application will depend on how fast you want the process to proceed. Regular procedures charge a standard fee, which may take 6 months or more, while Super Priority Service is more expensive, but the speed is much faster. For some procedures, this number will be reduced to a few weeks or even 24 hours.
The application involves multiple processes. Some processes can be completed overnight, while others take longer.
It is most convenient to contact professionals for guidance and exercise, and which plan is best for your situation.
The long-term residency route to obtain Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) status provides an avenue for individuals who wish to settle in the UK for 10 years. Individuals who have legally resided in the UK for 10 years and meet the requirements are eligible to apply for ILR.
ILR requirements through a 10-year long-term residence route
Meeting the following requirements will make the applicant eligible to apply for ILR through the long-term residency route.
1. Must have lived legally in the UK for 10 consecutive years
2. There is no reason for public interest, why do not want to not grant ILR to the applicant based on criminal conviction and other reasons?
3. The applicant has sufficient knowledge of English and life in the UK
4. The applicant has not stayed outside the UK for a total of 18 months in the past 10 years, and has not stayed for more than 6 months at a time in the past 10 years
5. Do not make it clear that you intend not to return to your country within ten years
How to Apply
ILR applications based on 10 years of continuous residence are available online. This process may take several weeks. For those who need emergency services, applications can be processed faster, but at an additional cost.
During the evaluation process, the applicant must not travel in the UK, Ireland, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man, otherwise the application will be cancelled.
When to apply
You can submit an ILR application under the 10-year residency category within 28 days before completing the legal residency status.
When calculating your legal time in the UK, the Home Office will consider all entry and exit stamps in your passport and landing card. Only the entire day will be considered as absent, the day you enter or leave the UK will be ignored. The documents provided should prove that you can continue to live, and should include but not limited to:
1. Proof of accommodation, such as rental agreement and mortgage statement
2. Utility bill
3. Bank statements
4. Proof of education or employment
5. Travel ticket and receipt
6. Applicants also need to visit the UK Visa and Citizenship Application Service Centre (UKVCAS) to provide biometric information (fingerprint scan and photo)
The Home Office fee to apply for an ILR for a 10-year residence period is £2,389, while those who need super priority services must pay an additional £800.
ILR has no validity period and can enter the UK for free, but staying outside the UK for more than 2 years will cancel the ILR
Appeal Right Against Refusal of ILR
If the ILR application is rejected, the applicant does have the right to resubmit the application for evaluation and consideration.
All naturalisation applicants, including those applying for naturalisation on the basis of marriage, must show “sufficient knowledge of life in the UK”, including passing English and a good character test. Those applying for non-spouse must intend to live in the UK.
British passport application
Apply for a British Passport
You must have British nationality to apply for or hold a British passport. Even if you have British nationality, there is no guarantee that you will get a British passport, and you may also remove your passport from your passport in the following circumstances:
1. You are a suspect and an arrest warrant has been issued
2. Court order to restrict your travel
3. You have been released on bail and cannot leave the country during this period
4. You have brought back to the UK with government expenses, but the expenses have not been repaid
5. You are facing an EU or UN order restricting your travel
6. The applicant’s eligibility and rights for a British passport will be considered when applying. The government also has the right to withdraw or cancel British passports at any time.
Who Can Apply?
There are different types of British citizenship. You can apply if you belong to any of the following categories:
1. British citizen
2. Citizens of British Overseas Territories
3. British overseas citizens
4. British theme
5. British nationals overseas
6. British Protected Person
How to Apply
Applicants can apply for a new passport online, renew, replace and renew. Payment can also be made online.
Local applicants in the UK can also apply in person through the local post office or pay by mail.