Immigration and Citizenship Canada facilitates the arrival of immigrants and offers programming to help newcomers settle in Canada. It also:

·       Grants citizenship, and

·       Issues travel documents (such as passports) to Canadians.


The variant programme for immigration and citizenship are:

Express Entry

Immigrate as a skilled worker

Family sponsorship

Sponsor your relatives, including your spouse, partner, children, parents, grandparents, and others to immigrate

Provincial nominees

Immigrate by being nominated by a Canadian province or territory

Quebec-selected skilled workers

Immigrate as a skilled worker in the province of Quebec

Atlantic Immigration Pilot

Immigrate by graduating from a school or working in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, or Newfoundland and Labrador


Immigrate by providing care for children, the elderly or those with medical needs, or work as a live-in caregiver

Start-up Visa

Immigrate by starting a business and creating jobs


Immigrate as a self-employed person in cultural or athletic activities

Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot

Smaller Canadian communities supporting their local economy through immigration. Pilot opens to permanent resident applicants later in 2019.

The application process for skilled immigrants who want to settle in Canada permanently and take part in our economy.

How Express Entry works

Application process and eligibility, including work experience, education and language skills for each program

Get the documents you need

Language test results, education assessments, job offers, police certificates, medical exams, proof of funds

Submit your Express Entry profile

Create your profile, what to do while you wait in the pool and invitations to apply

Apply for permanent residence if you are invited

Fill out the form, upload documents, pay fees and submit your application

If your application is approved

Interviews inside and outside Canada, crossing the border and settling in Canada 

Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents of Canada. You can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada if youre at least 18 years old and a:

·       Canadian citizen or

·       Person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or

·       Permanent resident of Canada


 You can apply for following:

Sponsor your spouse, partner or dependent children

Sponsor your parents and grandparents

Sponsor your relatives

Visit your children or grandchildren

Sponsor your adopted child

Help for spouses or partners who are experiencing abuse

This program is for workers who:

·       Have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory

·       Want to live in that province, and

·       Want to become permanent residents of Canada

Each province and territory has its own streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target:

·       Students

·       Business people

·       Skilled workers

·       Semi-skilled workers


Understand the application options

How you will apply depends on which Provincial Nominee Program stream youre applying to. You might need to apply using the paper-based process, or by the online process through Express Entry.

As part of the process, you will have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). Everyone must have these checks, no matter where they plan to live in Canada.

Paper-based process

In the paper-based process:

·       You apply to the province or territory for nomination under a non-Express Entry stream.

·       You need to meet the eligibility requirements of the province that nominates you.

·       Once you have been nominated, you submit a paper application for permanent residence to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

·       You have to pass a medical exam and get a police check (certificate). Everyone must have these checks, no matter where you plan to live in Canada.

·       Application processing times are longer than through Express Entry.


Express Entry process

In the online Express Entry process, there are 2 ways to apply:

·       You contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under an Express Entry stream.

·       If the province or territory agrees to nominate you, you create an Express Entry profile (or update your profile if you already have one) and show you have been nominated.

·       You create an Express Entry profile and show the provinces and territories youre interested in.

·       If a province or territory sends you a notification of interest” to your account, you contact them directly.

·       You apply to their Express Entry stream:

o   If youre nominated, the province will offer it to you through your account, and you accept it electronically.


From $1,325

Processing time 

15 to 17 months

You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time includes the time you need to give your biometrics.

About the process

This is the application process for skilled workers who want to become permanent residents of Canada and live in Quebec.

Quebec has a special agreement on immigration with the Government of Canada. The province has its own rules for choosing immigrants who will adapt well to living there.

To immigrate to Canada as a Quebec-selected skilled worker, you must apply in the following 2 stages:

1.       Apply to the Government of Quebec for a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec [CSQ]).

·       The Province of Quebec will assess you, using its own rules.

·       The certificate shows that the Province of Quebec has accepted you as an immigrant.

2.       If the Province of Quebec chooses you and gives you a CSQ, you must apply to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada for permanent residence.

The pilot helps employers in Atlantic Canada hire foreign skilled workers who want to immigrate to Atlantic Canada and international graduates who want to stay in Atlantic Canada after they graduate. 

Employers in Atlantic Canada

About the pilot

Find out how the pilot works and if you can participate

Get designated

Learn how to become a designated employer in one of the Atlantic Provinces 

Select program

Choose the right program to fill your job vacancy

Make a job offer

Hire a skilled foreign worker or international graduate

International graduates and skilled foreign workers

About the pilot

See if you can work and live in Atlantic Canada through the pilot

Make sure you meet the requirements

Work with a designated employer to get a job offer that matches your program requirements

Get your documents ready

What you need to apply for permanent residence in Atlantic Canada, including a settlement plan and certificate of endorsement

Apply for permanent residence

Get the forms you need to apply for permanent residence

As a caregiver, you have options to come to Canada to become a permanent resident or work temporarily.

Permanent residence for caregivers

Home Child Care Provider Pilot and Home Support Worker Pilot

Apply for permanent residence through the Home Child Care Provider Pilot or Home Support Worker Pilot if you:

·       Meet the eligibility requirements, and

·       Have a job offer to work in one of these occupations

Through these pilots, youll get an open work permit to come to Canada and work temporarily. This work permit:

·       Is occupation-restricted (so you have to work in that specific occupation)

·       Doesnt need a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)

·       Lets you get the work experience you need to be eligible for permanent residence

If you recently worked as a home child care provider or support worker, your experience may count towards your eligibility for permanent residence.

Canadas Start-up Visa Program targets immigrant entrepreneurs with the skills and potential to build businesses in Canada that:

·       Are innovative

·       Can create jobs for Canadians

·       Can compete on a global scale

Do you have an innovative business idea? If you can get support for your idea from one of the designated organisations, you may be able to immigrate to Canada.


From: $2,075

Processing time

12 to 16 months

You may need to give biometrics with your application. This processing time includes the time you need to give your biometrics.

Who can apply

To be eligible for the Start-up Visa Program, you must:

·       Have a qualifying business

·       Get a letter of support from a designated organization

·       Meet the language requirements

·       Bring enough money to settle


Have a qualifying business

A qualifying business means you created a business that meets the following conditions.

·       At the time you get a commitment from a designated organisation:

o   Each applicant holds 10% or more of the voting rights attached to all shares of the corporation outstanding at that time (up to 5 people can apply as owners)
applicants and the designated organisation jointly hold more than 50% of the total voting rights attached to all shares of the corporation outstanding at that time

·       At the time you receive your permanent residence:

o   You provide active and ongoing management of this business from within Canada

o   An essential part of the operations of the business happens in Canada

o   This business is incorporated in Canada

Get a letter of support from a designated organisation

You must get a letter of support from a designated organisation (a business group that has been approved to invest in or support possible start-ups).

Youll need to:

·       Contact the designated organisation to find out how to get its support

·       Convince the organisation that you have a business idea that is worth supporting

·       Get a letter of support from the designated organisation

The process to pitch your idea is different for each organisation. Each organisation has its own requirements. For example, you may be asked to present your business concept in person or submit a detailed business plan.

If you reach an agreement with a designated organisation, it will send you a letter of support. You need to include this letter when you submit your application to us. This is the proof you need to show that the venture capital fund, angel investor group, or business incubator is supporting your business idea.

The organisation will also send a commitment certificate directly to us. Well use both your letter of support and the organisation’s commitment certificate to assess your application. Please note, we may ask you for more business information in order to take a final decision on your application.

If you dont include the letter of support or meet any of the other requirements, well refuse your application.

Meet the language requirements

The ability to communicate and work in English, French or both languages will help your business succeed in Canada.

You must take a language test from an approved agency and include the results with your application, or we wont process it.
You must meet the minimum level of the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 in either English or French in all of these four areas: speaking, reading, listening, writing

If you dont meet the minimum language skills, well refuse your application.

Bring enough money to settle

The Government of Canada does not give financial support to new start-up visa immigrants.

When you apply, youll need to give proof that you have the money to support yourself and your dependants after you arrive in Canada. You cant borrow this money from another person.

The amount you need depends on the size of your family. We update these amounts every year. Funds required for family member, $13000 for 1 member, $16135 for 2 members, $19836 for 3 members.

The Self-employed Persons Program allows people to immigrate to Canada permanently as a self-employed person.

If youre interested in this program, you must:

·       Have relevant experience in cultural activities or athletics and

·       Be willing and able to make a significant contribution to the cultural or athletic life of Canada


From: $2,075


To immigrate as a self-employed person, you must:

·       Have relevant experience

·       Be willing and able to be self-employed in Canada

·       Meet the programs selection criteria and

·       Meet medical, security and other conditions

Relevant experience

Your experience is relevant if you have:

·       Taken part in cultural activities or athletics at a world-class level or

·       Been a self-employed person in cultural activities or athletics

Selection criteria

The authorities assess you on selection criteria that include your:

·       Experience

·       Education

·       Age

·       Language abilities

·       Adaptability

Medical, security checks and other requirements

You and your family members must have a medical exam and get police certificates.

You must also show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada.

How to apply

Get the application package

The application package includes a guide and document checklist. Use the guide to help you fill out the forms correctly. Fill out the Generic Application Form for Canada [IMM 0008] on your computer.

Include all the forms, information, documents, signatures, language test results and fees that we ask for. If any information is missing, your application will be incomplete and well return it to you without processing it.

All of your answers must be complete and true. If we find that you misrepresented yourself (gave us false information or left out important details)

Pay your application fees

In most cases, your fees will include:

·       Processing fees for you and anyone you include on your application

·       The Right of Permanent Residence Fee (RPRF)

·       Biometrics

·       Third-party fees

You have to pay your fees online.

Biometrics fee

In most cases, you must pay a biometrics fee when you submit your application. After you pay the biometrics fee with a complete application, well send you a letter confirming that you need to give your biometrics and where you can go. You must give your biometrics in person. Make sure to book an appointment if this service is offered.

Submit your application

To make sure you have a complete application, you must:

·       Answer all questions

·       Sign your application and all forms

·       Pay your processing fees and attach a copy of the receipt to your application

·       Include all the supporting documents

The Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot is a community-driven program. Its designed to spread the benefits of economic immigration to smaller communities by creating a path to permanent residence for skilled foreign workers who want to work and live in one of the participating communities.

About the process

There are 4 steps to applying for permanent residence under this pilot.

1.        Check that you meet both

·       IRCC eligibility requirements and

·       The community-specific requirements.

2.        Find an eligible job with an employer in one of the participating communities.

3.        Once you have a job offer, submit your application for recommendation to the community.

4.        If a community recommends you, apply for permanent residence.


Who can apply

To be eligible for the Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot Program, you must meet all IRCC eligibility requirements. You must

·       Have qualifying work experience or have graduated from a publicly funded post-secondary institution in the recommending community

·       Meet or exceed the language requirements

·       Meet or exceed the educational requirements

·       Prove you have enough money to support your transition into the community

·       Intend to live in the community

·       Meet community-specific requirements


Work experience

You need 1 year of continuous work experience (at least 1,560 hours) in the past 3 years.

Your work experience must include:

·       Most of the main duties and all the essential duties listed in your National Occupational Classification (NOC)

·       The activities listed in the lead statement of your NOC


International students

Youre exempt from the work experience criteria above if youre an international student who graduated with

1.        A credential from a post-secondary program of 2 years or longer and you

·       Were studying as a full-time student for the full duration of the 2+ years

·       Received the credential no more than 18 months before your application for permanent residence

·       Were in the community for at least 16 of the last 24 months spent studying to get your credential


2.        A masters degree or higher and you

·       Were studying as a full-time student for the duration of your degree

·       Got your degree no more than 18 months before your application for permanent residence

·       Were in the community for the length of your studies

You cannot apply as an international student if your credentials are from a program in which

·       Studying English or French made up more than half of the program

·       Distance learning made up more than half of the program

·       A scholarship or fellowship was awarded that requires you to return to your home country to apply what you learned


Language requirements

You must meet the minimum language requirements based on the NOC category that applies to the job offer in the community. This can either be the

·       Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) or

·       Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (NCLC)

The minimum language requirements for each NOC category are

·       NOC 0 and A: CLB/NCLC 6

·       NOC B: CLB/NCLC 5

·       NOC C and D: CLB/NCLC 4

You must submit your results from a designated language test. These results must be less than 2 years old when you apply.

Educational requirements

You must have one of the following:

·       A Canadian secondary school (high school) diploma, or

·       A Canadian post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree, or

·       An educational credential assessment (ECA) report, from a designated organisation or professional body, showing that you completed a foreign credential thats equal to a Canadian secondary school (high school) or post-secondary certificate, diploma or degree (your ECA report must be less than 5 years old on the date of your application).


Settlement funds

Unless youre already working legally in Canada when you apply, you must prove you have enough money to support yourself and any family members while you get settled in your community.

You must prove you have enough money to support any family members you may have, even if theyre not coming to Canada with you.