Study in Germany

Factors such as a lack of tuition fees and a reputation for high-quality education (especially engineering and natural sciences) have helped Germany become a country where more and more foreign students are studying abroad. German higher education institutions are internationally recognized-according to the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), 6 of the world’s top 100 universities and 18 of the top 200 universities are from Germany. Studying here will make you one of the oldest and most famous universities in the world, as well as some of the latest and most innovative universities.

Public and private universities
There are 400 public universities in Germany and 95% of university students participate. These institutions are funded by the state, which means that students do not have to pay tuition (except for a small administrative fee at the beginning of each semester).

Bologna System

German higher education has recently transformed into a three-level degree system in the European Higher Education Area established under the Bologna system. Today, Germany no longer offers the old-fashioned first-level “long-term” courses but instead offers undergraduate courses with a bachelor’s degree and graduate courses with a master’s degree or doctorate (doctorate) degree. The system is designed to be the same throughout Europe to promote the mobility of international education and increase the flexibility of educational goals.

The German higher education system distinguishes university types in different disciplines:

· Polytechnic University (Technical School) teaches science, technology and engineering
· Fachhochschulen (University of Applied Sciences) specializes in business, engineering and social sciences
· Kunst-und Musikhochschulen is a university with first-class performing arts, music, media and communication

Graduate study

A master’s degree is a taught course (different from a research-oriented doctorate) and usually lasts two years (four semesters). They are “continuous” or “discontinuous”. A bachelor’s degree obtained from successive master’s programs is based-they start with a related undergraduate degree program and usually do not charge fees. Discontinuous courses focus on more specialized research areas. These courses may require fees, and more likely require professional or practical experience with a bachelor degree or above.

Admission requirements

In Germany, you can submit an application directly to your chosen learning institution. In addition, international students can use UniAssist resources. This is a centralized service managed by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), which reviews applications before sending them to the university. The specific admission process is determined by each institution, but to be admitted to a German university, you need to meet some of the following conditions:

Hochschulzugangsberechtigung (HZB) or “Qualification for Higher Education Admission”

This simply means that you need to show proof of previous academic diplomas. DAAD has a database of information about the admission requirements of each country, so standardized qualifications (such as high school diplomas, school leaving certificates or test transcripts) in your country are sufficient. However, you may need to provide a translated overview of the course modules and grades. International students with academic qualifications from outside Europe may also have to take an entrance exam or Fesstellungsprufung, and applicants for a master’s program may have to earn a minimum of credits in their chosen field of study.

Language proficiency test

Some courses also require a certain level of German. Even if you plan to study for an English degree, some universities still require you to prove your basic knowledge of German by taking the Deutsche Sprachprufung fur den Hochschlzugang (“University Admission Test”) or TestDaF (“Test of German”). As a foreign language”). If you are taking a course taught in English and you are not an English speaker, you will need to take a standardized English language test, such as IELTS or TOEFL.

Public universities
German universities are fully funded by the German government, and students do not need to pay tuition. Students only need to pay about 60-200 euros per semester for management, travel and dining facilities.

Private university
These are not regulated by the government and can cost as much as 20,000 Euros per year.

Master’s Program
Master’s degree programs in Germany are “continuous”, that is, continue to learn directly from the relevant bachelor’s degree program; or “discontinuous”, which means that they are independent courses in more professional fields. In Germany, continuous courses for domestic, EU and international students are usually free. The cost of a non-continuous master’s program is approximately 5,000 Euros per year for public universities and up to 30,000 Euros per year for private universities.

Doctorate programme
For the first six semesters, there are no tuition fees for doctoral programs in public universities. However, as with the choice of master’s and bachelor’s degrees, the donation of doctoral students cannot exceed 300 euros per semester.

In terms of accommodation, German students can choose several methods, but the main choice you have to choose is student accommodation or renting a private residence. German universities do not automatically allocate accommodation for students, so you need to do relevant research to find a place yourself.

Student accommodation
Every university town has student dormitories owned and maintained by Studentenwerk (student service organization). This is the most economical type of accommodation, with an average of about 240 Euros per month.

Student accommodation type
Studentenwerk offers many types of housing. The cheapest and most friendly option is a room on the floor with a communal kitchen, bathroom and living space. Prices also fluctuate according to the level of furniture.

Private accommodation
There are also opportunities to rent a house from a private landlord or real estate agent. Prices fluctuate greatly, depending on the location and quality of the apartment, but the average price of a house in Germany is about 210 to 360 euros per month.

Non-EU citizens will need a visa to study in Germany. It is important not to enter the country on a student visa, as this cannot be converted to a student visa. You should refer to the following options that are suitable for you:

Type of visa

·Student Visa (Visum zur Studienbewerbung)-If you have not received the admission letter from a German university, but want to enter the country for the application process and participate in activities such as open days, then this is your visa. It can be kept for three months and can be extended for up to six months. If you are admitted during this time, you can apply for a student visa while in the country. · Student Visa (Visum zur Stedienbewerbung)-If you have been admitted to a German university, you will need to apply for a student visa. This is also valid for three months, but if your study period exceeds this period of time, you can extend your visa at the alien registration office in Germany.

how to apply

You will submit your visa application and conduct a visa interview at the German Embassy in your home country. The address can be found on the website of the German Federal Foreign Office. After submitting the application and related documents, they will be sent to the immigration office of your chosen university for approval and then returned. The process can take up to 25 days, so be sure to allow plenty of time to minimize stress.

Required Documentation

The German Embassy in your home country will provide you with precise advice on what documents you need to present in the application, but it may include some or all of the following:

· Transcripts of any previous diplomas or qualifications

· Prove that you have sufficient financial resources to support your studies. The German government considers this cost to be at least 720 Euros per month

·German language proficiency certificate-can take the form of A1 certificate from Goethe Institute, KCSE certificate from Kennedy University or TestDAF, and the age must not exceed 4 years

· If you fail, please prove that you intend to take a language course after arriving in Germany · Document confirming that you have purchased health insurance in Germany ·Student Visa-German recognized university entrance qualification

·For student visas-admission notice from selected learning institutions · A valid passport, two passport size photos and a complete application form

· You also need to pay a fee of 60 Euros

For those students struggling to meet the financial criteria of their chosen degree, German nationals and EU students, as well as international students, can participate in the Federal Student Aid Scheme (Bundesausbildungsforderungsgesetz or BAfoG) under certain circumstances. Half of them are in the form of state subsidies, and the other half are interest-free loans, which are gradually repaid.

What is my total cost?