Study In Canada

In Canada, like many countries in the world, higher education is also constantly developing. As the government and education authorities determine new priorities and develop strategies to respond to the needs of a rapidly changing world, the nation’s education system is also changing. 

It is important to note that in Canada, post-graduation education includes all forms of formal teaching programs other than secondary schools, including academic, vocational, technical and continuing professional education mainly provided by universities, colleges and research institutes.

Canada is a federation of ten provinces and three territories. According to the Canadian Constitution, the provincial government is fully responsible for all levels of education. There is no Ministry of Education or Education Department at the federal level.

The three regions of Canada, Yukon, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut, have different constitutional status from the provinces, and many regions are more directly controlled by the federal government. But in terms of education, the federal government has delegated this responsibility to local governments, which in turn cooperated with provinces to provide post-secondary courses.

Degree-granting institution
Canada has more than 200 public and private institutions that award degrees. The institution that awards degrees varies from province to province and may include universities, university colleges, colleges, technical colleges, and professional colleges. Some universities have affiliation agreements with specific colleges or other universities. More than half of Canada’s universities are located in Ontario and Quebec, the two most densely populated provinces. Outside Quebec, many provinces have at least one French institution offering degree courses; in Quebec, there are many English-speaking universities.

Institutions vary in size, from small liberal arts campuses to large, comprehensive universities, with a large number of undergraduate, graduate and professional degree programs. Canadian universities offer more than 10,000 undergraduate and graduate degree programs.

University degree programs are divided into three consecutive levels (bachelor, master and doctorate), and completion of a lower-level degree is usually a prerequisite for advancement to the next degree.

Students with a bachelor’s or bachelor’s degree are called undergraduates. Completion of a secondary school course or a two-year CÉGEP course in Quebec is a normal prerequisite for entry into undergraduate study. Most universities also have special admission requirements and admission requirements for adult students.

A bachelor’s degree usually requires three to four years of full-time study, depending on the province. A bachelor’s degree with honours involves a higher degree of concentration on the main subject, a higher level of academic achievement, and in some cases, an additional year of study time.

For regulated professions such as law, medicine, education, and social work, internships are usually required, and in some cases, additional formal study time is required.

A master’s degree usually requires two years of study after completing a general or honours degree program.

At least three years of research and research (including completion of the thesis) is a normal requirement for a doctorate. This degree is usually called a doctorate; however, it can also be awarded in a specific field of studies, such as music (DMus) or law (LLD).

University colleges take degree courses as their main activities and provide bachelor degrees. A few people also offer a master’s degree with an applied focus.

Some public and private universities, as well as university colleges, have a religious affiliation and offer clergy courses and degrees, with the specific purpose of preparing students for the profession of Minister of Faith. These institutions may also offer other degree programs.

Universities and technical colleges regard diploma and certificate courses as their main activities, and can also provide bachelor’s degrees and applied degrees in specific professional fields.

Entry Requirements

The admission criteria for undergraduate and postgraduate study vary by institution and program. Graduating from a secondary school preparatory course or a two-year CÉGEP course is usually the minimum requirement for admission to a degree course. However, the requirements may be more stringent and may include specific course content requirements or high-grade point averages. Some colleges require standardized aptitude tests to be admitted. For mature students who are usually over the age of 21 or who have dropped out of school for at least one year, admission requirements are usually more flexible.

Tuition fees vary greatly depending on the province, institution and course of study. The average tuition for undergraduate courses at the university range from $5,000 to $8000. Postgraduate and professional courses, such as business and medicine, may charge higher tuition fees. In most institutions, tuition fees for international students are much higher than those for domestic students.

After deciding where to study in Canada, the next step is to decide where you want to live. Canadian students have many choices. Whether you live on campus or in a private residence, you can find housing that suits you. The type of accommodation you choose will depend on your budget, expectations and how long you intend to stay in Canada.

Campus accommodation
Many institutions in Canada provide accommodation on or near campus in the form of dormitories/residential halls, townhouses and apartments. Dormitories are larger buildings that accommodate many students, while townhouses are independent and usually accommodate 3 to 6 students.They usually have shared kitchen, bathroom and laundry facilities and are directly managed by the Institutions. Many dormitories also have a canteen, and students can purchase a meal plan to use. Usually separated by gender, you are likely to have one or two roommates sleeping with you in the room. It is usually recommended to provide dormitories for first-year students, which may be a good way for all students to meet new friends and participate in campus activities.

The townhouse is designed for three to six students, with single rooms (which means not sharing a room, but a whole living space), and a kitchen and living room on the main floor.

If you only plan to stay in Canada for one semester, it may be easier to stay on campus than to live off campus. If you want to stay longer, you can consider staying in the dormitory during the first semester. Once you are more familiar with the area, you can make long-term arrangements.

Most Canadian students do like to stay on campus during their first and second years of study. As an international student, you may find that living in a dormitory makes it easier to make friends and save on transportation costs. The average cost of campus accommodation is about $3,000-$7,500 CDN per academic year.

Off-campus housing
When looking for private off-campus accommodation, please try to contact the institution’s housing office or the campus student union office to obtain a list of nearby rental units.
Renters have many different types of housing. For a single student, the price of a house is usually too expensive, so multiple students usually choose to share or rent a suite in a larger house. You can also choose apartments with one to three bedrooms.

Most rental properties are unfurnished, but it is possible to find a furnished temporary apartment for rent before you arrive in Canada. If you only plan to stay in the country for a short time, this may be your best choice. Otherwise, you will need to find and buy your own furniture.

Private rent requires you to sign a lease, which is a legal document stating your responsibilities as a tenant. These responsibilities include things like paying rent on time, keeping the premises clean, repairing any damage caused by you or your guests, and not disturbing other tenants.

The price, quality and availability of off-campus accommodation will vary. You should expect to pay from C$400-C$1,500 per month, depending on the city and neighborhood you choose, and whether you have co-tenants. Landlords usually charge one month’s rent in advance as a security deposit. If you have no property damage, this amount will be returned to you when you move out.

Canadim’s International Student Program

The number of international students in Canada continues to grow every year. Many of them are able to stay in Canada after finishing their studies.

Canadim’s International Student Program can help to guide you through the process. From getting your study permit to permanent residency, we’ll be there every step of the way. Here are the basic steps of the application process:

After deciding on a program, application is prepare and submit. You need to have a letter of acceptance from a Canadian designated learning institution (DLI) before you can apply for a study permit.

Document Checklist
Acceptance Letter: A letter sent by the school confirming your acceptance into your program of study.

Proof of Financial Support: Proof that you have money to support yourself and any family members coming with you. You must show that you can cover your tuition fees as well as your cost of living (accommodation, food, etc.) for your first year in Canada.

Identity documents: Birth certificate, marriage certificate and passport.

Application Process for a Canadian Study Permit

There are four stages to obtaining a Canadian study permit:

1. Check your eligibility: Ensure you meet the eligibility requirements for a Canadian study permit. You will need:

· an acceptance letter from a DLI,

· proof of financial support,

· supporting documents (varies depending on your countries of citizenship and residence)

2. Prepare your application: If you meet all eligibility requirements then you can start to prepare your study permit application. Make sure that you have gathered all documents required for your country.

3. Submit your study permit application: You have two options when submitting your application:

· Submit an electronic application: Create an account on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website. You can submit an application electronically using scanned or electronic copies of documents.

· Submit a paper-based application: Gather hard copies of your documents and mail them to the Visa Application Centre (VAC) assigned to your country.

4. If your study permit is approved, come to Canada! You do not receive your Canadian study permit until you arrive at a Canadian Port of Entry (POE). If your permit is approved, the Canadian government will issue you a Port of Entry Introduction Letter. You must show this letter to the immigration official when you arrive in Canada to get your study permit.

If you need scholarship or financial assistance, please contact us

What is my total cost?